“Munich 72” Storytelling Café
Share your Memories of the Munich Olympics
As part of our “Munich 72” project, members of the public will have the opportunity to share their memories and memorabilia of the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich. You can do this in person or online.
Did you attend the Games? What memories do you have of this event that has truly left its mark on our city’s history? Were you actually involved in some way? Have you kept any interesting photos, films or items (memorabilia, documents, garments, ...) that might shed new light on the Games, or which are deeply personal to you?
Your stories, images and memorabilia will be included in either the “Munich 72. Fashion, People, and Music” exhibition or in the online collection from July 29, 2022.
- Feel free to drop in at the “Munich 72” Storytelling Café in the Münchner Stadtmuseum or visit one of our partners at the following times.
- Take part online by posting your images and recollections on our Mapping “Munich 72” interactive city map.
We intend to continue collecting items, telling stories, having discussions and adding new items even after the exhibition has opened. Our aim is to create a collective memory map with multiple perspectives and a collective retelling of the city’s history.
We look forward to hearing from you and would like to thank everyone who has already donated and loaned items, as well as the many people who have visited the “Munich 72” Storytelling Café and shared their valuable memories with us.
We would be particularly keen to hear from you if you have any recollections or items relating to the following:
- Did you come to Munich as a guest worker at that time and would you be willing to tell us about your experiences and what life was like for you?
- Did you compete as an athlete or can you tell us anything about the sporting side of the event?
- Were you involved as an urban planner, architect, engineer, or employee either for the city council or for the IOC?
- Can you tell us anything about the behind-the-scenes parties and festivities?
- Were you involved in the “Spielstraße” (Avenue of Entertainment), or did you have any memorable experiences of your visit?
- Can you tell us anything about the opposition to and protests against the Games?
- Would you be willing to share your recollections of the terrorist attack of September 5, 1972?